Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Running Isn't Cheap

Well, it can be cheap depending on how you run. Some say all you need is a pair of sneakers and you are all set. That works for shorter distances, but I've found out for longer runs, say consistently over 45-60 minutes, additional equipment is needed, at least for me.
  • I don't like to run more than 45 minutes unless I have water with me. I purchased the Amphipod RunLite4 belt that holds 4 8oz bottles of water and a pouch for nutrition. That is good for 2-2.5 hrs for me. The cost was about $45 from a local Sports Chalet. the problem is when I carry that much water on my waist, I am sore for a few days because of the pressure on my hip bone. I now only use this to carry two bottles, which is good for 1-2 hrs depending on the temperature outside.
  • For longer runs, I got the Camelbak XTC water hydration backpack. It holds 70oz of water and has two larger side pockets that can hold my cell phone, a few bandaids and antiseptic wipes just in case and extra nutrition. I also use the nutrition pouch from the Amphipod pack with it. I've run 3.5 hrs with this and still had some water left over. I got it on sale from REI for $56 but it normally costs closer to $70.
  • I had been running in basketball shorts, which is fine for an hour or so, but much longer than that and you can run into some serious chafing issues. I found some Nike running shorts that did the trick for me. They wick moisture away from me so it helps in keeping me dry, thus significantly reducing the chance of chafing. I've run for over 3 hours in them and had no issues. They are usually around $35. Not cheap for shorts.
  • I much prefer running in daylight hours but in the winter months sometimes that isn't possible. I like running in the mornings rather than the afternoons after work. Believe it or not there is less traffic. In the morning, I only have to deal with people going to work. In the afternoons, it is people coming home from work in addition to everyone running errands. Our streets are fairly well lit, but not enough for me. I run barefoot or with minimalist shoes which means I have to watch where I am going. The only thing I have to protect me from rocks, branches and other debris is my vision, not a thick sole of a typical running shoe. So when I run before the sun comes up, I need a light. I use the Petzl XP2, which works very well. It has two light modes and two red LED flashing modes so when dawn arrives, I can switch to the LED to better alert oncoming traffic. REI.com sells it for about $55.
  • To keep the sweat out of my eyes, I have been using a cheapo freebie sweatband which has worked fine for me, but my dermatologist recommend I get a hat since I am thinning a bit on top. 2-3 hrs in the southern California sun isn't good for my scalp, so I am ordering two hats that are designed to keep sweat out of your eyes. They are both from Headsweats. The first is a high visibility burn-your-eyes yellow race hat for $20. Anything to keep me more visible to motorists more interested in drinking their coffee, texting or any number of things besides the task at hand - driving.
    The next is their Protech hat with a legionnaire flap for $26. That will be useful for longer daytime runs to keep the sun off of my neck and ears. They also have one in a mossy camo look, which is horrible for visibility but looks cool. They must be closing them out because they are only $7.50. I suspect no runner wants to have something that makes it harder see them, not easier. I picked one up for casual use, which will also embarrass my kids as I wear it to public places. That is one of my jobs as a dad.
  • Of course, I need sunblock of some sort, but normal beach stuff just doesn't work. It gets runny when you sweat and just has a nasty greasy feeling, even the spray on stuff. I found something called Scape that is 50spf and made for athletes. It doesn't prevent sweating nor does it wash away when you sweat. I got the lotion for arms and legs and the face stick for the face. I paid $33 total for a bottle of each.
  • Ok, this is something you definitely don't have to fool with on shorter runs, and ladies not at all, but guys may have to, and the more you sweat or if it is raining, the more likely you need them. I don't care what kind of shirt you have, it will rub against your nipples and they will either burn after you are done running or bleed. You won't feel it while running either, only when you get in the shower and then you'll be in pain for days. Ladies generally run with a running bra of some sort so their shirt just rubs against the bra, not bare skin. Enter NipGuards. $85 for 100 pair, or 85¢ per run. You can often find these in running stores, but I've found their stock may be old so they are difficult to pull off of the plastic sheet without tearing. I buy directly from the manufacturer. Don't waste money on any of the lotions, pastes or anything else. I tried and they are useless. Apparently your nipples and areola don't sweat, so if you put these on before you run, they will stick forever. I can only confirm they stick like crazy for at least 3.5 hours, but pull off with only very little discomfort - far less than pulling a bandaid off causes. They are basically a foam ring with adhesive that goes against your skin and the part that your shirt touches is a thin plastic layer that prevents contact, and thus abrasion. 
  • For lip chap, I use Kiss My Face lip balm. I picked some up at the local Henry's market for a few bucks. It has an SPF of 15, which is decent. I tried other brands with a higher SPF but they have a chemical taste which I cannot stand. I haven't tried the Scape brand yet (never seen it in a store) so theirs might be ok and have a higher protection level. I am good with what I have now though so won't be trying anything else until I run low.
  • So what about my shoes? I try to run barefoot at least once a week for 6-9 miles, so that is really cheap. For longer runs though I use Vibram Five Fingers. They provide only a thin layer of protection against debris in the road and for longer runs, prevent friction between my feet and the asphalt or concrete. I've run in Sprints, Classics and Bakilas, but I have switched exclusively to the KSO Remix with a pair of Injinji micro socks. The socks are very thin and provide a layer of protection for my feet from the inside of the KSO's so I don't get blisters. KSO stands for Keep Stuff Out and they do a pretty good job of keeping little pebbles and twigs from getting in my shoe when running, something the Sprints and Classics don't do. KSO's are $85 and the Injinji socks are about $12, so $97 for my running shoes.
    Vibrams are insanely hard to find since demand is way out-stripping production, so be patient if you are looking for them. Vibram sells some directly and REI.com will sometimes accept backorders. My favorite place to buy them though is from TravelCountry.com - they have a great selection and it seems the most inventory and their customer service is second to none. All three of those web sites also sell Injinji socks and REI stocks them in the stores.
  • So far, I am still using a regular t-shirt and cheap sunglasses I found at Sports Chalet that have basic polarization and cost about $25. I've not seen the need to go with anything more expensive, which is good because I have already spent enough.
I won't bother totalling up the numbers because in the aggregate, they don't mean much. The backpack should last me years, though I may have to replace the bladder at some point. The NipGuards are disposable and the  Scape only lasts a few months before I need a new bottle. The most I've run in any one pair of Vibrams is around 400 miles. I had some Sprints with that many miles and the seam on the toe split. My Bikilas have 320 miles on them but I quit using them for a number of reasons. The KSOs have 100 miles on them and look like new, so I am hoping to get 750 miles or so out of them, but time will tell.

So there is my running gear. What are you using?

5 comments:

  1. My runs last just over an hour. I've looked for some kind of Batman utility belt like you carry but can't find one locally. It would be nice to carry water in the summer.

    I have spent a little time finding some good moisture-wicking shirts for summer time, and building a cold-weather outfit -- all the things that are minor details for guys like you. :-)

    I've run just a little bit in the VFF's and hope to do more of that in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew.....I need to catch up with you, Eddie!
    Just so you know, the next time you are "home", you can stop in David Parker Shoes in Cool Springs Mall to find Vibrams!! :))
    I'm glad I don't need nipple guards. ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig, check out the Smartwool products when looking for warmth. I have some of their socks (not for running-for the motorcycle) and armbands that work very well in cold weather.

    Have you checked out the Vibram Flows for cold weather running?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ran 10 miles today, my longest run to date. Came back here to see what you said about running shorts and chafing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what did you end up getting Craig?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Comments may be delayed for moderation just to keep the spammers out. I'll approve them as soon as possible. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.