Friday, December 14, 2012

Microsoft Kills Live Mesh Remote Desktop

Here is a shocker. Microsoft is killing the Live Mesh service, which includes file sync and remote desktop functionality across multiple platforms and over the internet. They are replacing it with Sky Drive, which of course lacks any remote desktop functionality, and I believe it also lacks the ability to sync files directly between computers, skipping the cloud.

Over the years, this is just another item in a long list of apps Microsoft has dropped for consumers. I learned my lesson on this a long time ago and there are only two Microsoft products I use now: Office and Windows. What they make is more often than not top notch quality, but they are quick to kill items that they perceive no longer fits into their portfolio or doesn't generate enough revenue. Money, Outlook Express, Tax Saver, Zune, etc. The list goes on and on.

I'll continue to use Office and Windows because for me they are exceptional tools to get done what I need to get done. You'll not catch me using their other products though because I have zero confidence they will be around in a few years, and it is easier to start using a similar but competing product from another company that needs that product to survive, whereas Microsoft seems to treat these products as "let's throw this competing product out there and see what happens, and we can kill it later if we want."

They usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments may be delayed for moderation just to keep the spammers out. I'll approve them as soon as possible. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.