Friday, October 12, 2012

Amazon's Business Sense Continues To Impress Me

Amazon is nothing if not savvy when it comes to operational excellence. They proved it to me again today. I went to a forecasting seminar this week and there was one book highly recommended. I downloaded the free Kindle sample and got about 10 pages of it. I decided it was worth it. Because it had a number of charts, tables and the like, I opted for the dead tree version as much of that doesn't look great on a Kindle.

I am a Prime member, which gives me 2 day shipping free on most things. I wanted to read the book this weekend though so I opted for the $3.99 upgrade to overnight shipping.

I also wanted to get a copy for a colleague in our corporate office. When I went to check out though, there was a $7.98 shipping charge. I didn't realize the $3.99 was per item! I didn't need her copy until next week as that was when the normal intercompany pouch was going out, so I cancelled her copy, ordered mine expedited, then ordered hers using regular Prime. That saved $3.99. I thought it was dumb on Amazon's part to do this though ad shipping 2 overnight is healer that shipping one overnight and one second day.

Well, someone on Amazon's shipping team thought the same thing. They bundled my orders into one and the box arrived this morning.

More companies need to encourage and empower employees to make these sorts of decisions on the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments may be delayed for moderation just to keep the spammers out. I'll approve them as soon as possible. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.